Sunday, April 25, 2010

Cancun vs Hawaii

Really, there is no match here. Its like comparing sweet, ripe, tasty pineapple to... crap. Lets take a look at what they both have and what they don't' have. They both have sand, ocean, humidity, and blue sky. But there they differ, in my opinion, is feeling... spirit... soul. Of the times I have been to Cancun I have noticed a few similarity among the people who tend to make Cancun their preferred vacation spot over a place like, say... Hawaii. They seem the type to have no problem what so ever with alcohol, smoking or public indecency. All three of which you will see on a regular basis. They are generally older and/or honeymooning couples who want that picturesque, completely cliched "romantic" vacation or "partiers", young college students and the more likely middle age loosers who have nothing better to do than "go to Mexico" to get completely "bombed" with the intent of hooking up with some "sweet little tart". Now I may sound a little negative toward Cancun but that's only because I have nothing good to say about it. For those who know me, know that my being part of the LDS faith has no influence on my opinion.
I think it is deceiving and dishonest to advertise Cancun as the "wonderful tropical beach location" that it is portrayed as. Of course then again, a "desert lined with hotels, buildings and concrete as far as the eye can see lined with a man made beach" wouldn't necessarily be what people want to hear to get them excited to go to Cancun.
So "what is my opinion regarding Hawaii" you ask? Well... I'm glad you ask me such a question. I have been to Cancun twice and to Hawaii countless. I lost track after the third or fourth time when getting myself to Hawaii went from "I need a vacation" to "dropping $500 on a ticket is more important than paying my rent".
Many people have told me their stories of going to Hawaii. Staying in a nice hotel, doing all the "tourist" activities of para sailing, zip lining, and spending the rest of their time lounging on what they call the "beaches" of Waikiki. If your on Oahu, for me, its all about the "North shore". The first time I went to Hawaii I rented a car and got a hotel just up the road from downtown Honolulu. As much fun as it was, I only slept in my hotel room two of the seven nights that I had it for and my trip really didn't start till I left the big city and found what I had always been looking for. The bulk of my time was spent with friends and locals on the beaches from Laie to Haleiwa to the north side of Kaena state park. Now, when I go to Hawaii I get off the plane walk outside hop on the pearl shuttle and don't get off till I'm on north shore and know that special spot when I see it. Probably the biggest difference I see between Hawaii and Cancun is the ability to explore. When your in Hawaii there is an innate insatiable desire to get out and explore, find something new and stay there as long as you can.

9 comments:

  1. lame! your LDS faith does have a lot to do with your opinion. You're probably white, can't relate to Mejicanos. Nimodo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the only Mexicans in cancun are the janitors and dishwashers its all americans so your argument about relating is destroyed

      Delete
    2. Sabes escribir. Se escribe Mexicano. Probablemente es que eres un Mexican - American que no sabe hablar español. Se parte de Mexico y ha prende a escribir.

      Delete
    3. Aprende lo siento es que el teclado lo cambió

      Delete
  2. What a horrible and unfair comparison!

    Firstly, how can you compare the entire state of Hawaii to a single city?

    Why not focus on the Yucatan peninsula compared to the state of Hawaii?

    Cancun is more comparable to Waikiki. I'd take Cancun any day. The latter has a pretty ugly beach, and at times has way more people than water. Thats how immensely overcrowded Waikiki is. Cancun on the other hand, while touristed, still ratains a gorgeous stretch of beach.

    Capitals, Honolulu vs Merida. Merida is a gorgeous colonial city and the undisputed capital of the Yucatan, which at times is a little cosmopolitan yet still very provincial. While Honolulu, from a distance looks stunning, with the mountainous backdrop and blue waters of Waikiki, but up close, it's such a montonous and rather dreary looking city. I was not impressed with Honolulu at all.

    Cuisine, Mexican vs Hawaiian. Lets get real here, Mexican is one the worlds best cuisines.

    Topography, Hawaii has some of the most jaw dropping landscapes I've ever seen! While the Yucatan is flat. Both places have some very gorgeous beaches along with those that are not impressive. The second largest reef in the world is located off the shores of the Yucatan, and the peninsula is scattered with cenotes; natural, fresh water, pools which are entrances to underground worlds of caves.

    Like the cenotes, the peninsula is scattered with an impressive amount of ancient Maya cities in ruins. One of the 7 wonders of the world is here along with other numerous amounts of pyramids.

    Weather, Hawaiian weather is more likeable than the Yucatan, which can get very humid and nasty.

    I think both places have there pros and cons, and are very beautiful places to vacation in, it just depends what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with Xial Jin!

    I'm Hispanic and traveled throughout Mexico of course. The most beautiful parts of Mexico I've seen and absolutely love is Guadalajara. Other than that...

    Now Hawaii I love and holds a special place in my heart! I'm an open-minded Mexican and love to travel; hands down Hawaii is the best for me and me family. People just use the excuse and say Cancun is like Hawaii because they know that their behavior would not be well received in Hawaii. Also, because they cannot afford to travel to Hawaii because they'd rather use that extra money for booze. Just telling it like it is.

    What bothers me about my country Mexico (not Mejico or Mejicanos) is that our country is being portrayed as a drunken booze-it-up country. Now who's fault is that? Our roots need to flow in Mexico, not booze. When you go to Hawaii, you instantaneously feel and get the "Aloha" spirit! The Hawaiians take pride in their culture and have fought to conserve it. In Cancun, we're suppose to feel the "Mayan" spirit; unfortunately we do not. You can party it up with booze in Hawaii but there is a limit (time and place for everything); In Cancun it is party 24/7 to the point the consideration for others who are trying to relax and enjoy their vacation goes out the door.

    I've seen tourists in Mexico littering while on vacation, including Mexicans, mistreating and lowballing the waiters, cab drivers and market vendors. Then in return, they mistreat the tourists because of this type of treatment. All this just makes me want to stay away.

    So to the negative responders...please respect Mexico and put aside your booze and indecent behavior. No sean ingratos y traten México con amor y respeto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to either destination yet, but this post sounded incredibly hateful and ill-spirited in the first paragraph. Calling people losers for wanting to relax really reflects on you as a person. Extremely bitter. I've never met someone of the LDS faith that was anything but joyous and friendly... you're a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to either destination yet, but this post sounded incredibly hateful and ill-spirited in the first paragraph. Calling people losers for wanting to relax really reflects on you as a person. Extremely bitter. I've never met someone of the LDS faith that was anything but joyous and friendly... you're a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I choose Mexico .you get much more for your money .And great Tacos.

    ReplyDelete