Thursday, April 29, 2010

What are we doing???

Much like the bulk of the "American People" I have not seen war or even come close to seeing what they see... instead I watch my favorite TV shows and during advertisements change the channel and run past the news to catch the bits and pieces (that are usually taken out of context) and then proceed to form an opinion based on those incomplete facts. All my views and opinions about war changed when someone I grew up with went to his first tour in Afghanistan and would later serve for a second in Iraq. My opinions changed even further just a few days ago as I watched a National Geographic Channel production "Inside the Green Berets". Even though I have had many talks with my friend and gained a respect for things he went through, I got a feel for what those men and women actually go through as I watched that moving documentary. For one full hour I sat watching intently about men and women who volunteer their time, service and some times lives. After watching this and listening to the many stories told by my friends about whats going on "over there" I have to say it sickens me to think that while these selfless people ship off to an unknown location to carry out orders given by a Nation they love and Ideals that they believe in -even enough to go to war- we sit back and whine about our troops being at war and how it is "senseless" and that "we need to bring our troops home". All the while the men and women of the armed forces who are in the fight actually see the need for why they are over there. When we stop supporting our troops we are making a mockery of what they are so valiantly fighting for. Let us not make the mistake of thinking they are fighting for political power, oil, or economic stimulation. Regardless of what political misadventure got them over there, the troops are now fighting for what they see -innocent civilians in uncivil conditions being mistreated and harassed by radical groups who have no regard for their well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment