Sunday, May 22, 2011

Interest Piece: Kites

As I watch my life go on, I've noticed that no matter how bitter and old and ornery I become from the inevitability of life's cold grasp there has always been one thing that washes that all away... Flying Kites.... well, and an ice cold Slurpee... okay two things. But we'll focus on the former. I had my first experience with a kite as a child. it was a horrible time when all I wanted to do was to be inside with my mother doing crafts and other indoor activities. I didn't much care for the out of doors. It wasn't till years later that I discovered the true joy of flying a kite. Placentia California 2002. I met Terry and Janet Miller at a church activity after a very long day at work. They too had an exhausting day but some how found a way to throw it all away and continue to enjoy life. They were the highlight of the evening for everyone there including myself. After talking for a while and getting to know each other they invited me out to the beach for the afternoon the next day. Come to find out Terry was such an enthusiast that he built his own kites. No no, these were no simple thrown together kites, they were elaborate, complex, and elegant kites. The time we had on the beach that day was a memorable one... one that I will hopefully never forget. With a cooler full of drinks and barbequeables, we had no reason to end the fun. He brought four of his favorite kites. A biplane, butterfly, large bird and a very large tube shaped kite. The butterfly was my favorite, I flew it for hours. While the kite flying was the reason we went the highlight of the day was just being outside eating, drinking and meeting and getting to know new people... Oh the people we met that day. There was rarely a moment that we didn't have five to ten people standing around, talking to us and admiring Terry's artwork flying high in the sky. A few people even offered him to buy his kites but... nothing doing. Sadly life can get in the way. for the next few years my life somehow became all about work. Focused on the dollars, paycheck to paycheck I forgot the wonderocities that kite flying could bring. It wasn't til 2007 when life became just to much that I needed a serious break. An idea that started between me and a friend about going to Oregon finally became a reality. We left at 1030 at night headed in the wrong direction. About 20 min later we corrected our course and were now on our way for a grand adventure. Eleven hours later we arrived in Newport Oregon. To tired and ornery to find a hotel we just pulled into a parking lot near the beach, put on the parking break and shut our eyes. Five hours later we were awakened by a cop knocking on the window to a beautiful kite flying day... but first... Coffee and a muffin. mmmmm nothing better than snacking on a muffin and sipping coffee as you sit on a cliff overlooking the ocean, wrapped in a blanket. As soon as we were done we located the nearest kite shop. There's actually quite a few along the coast highway in Oregon. We bought our kite at Kite Co. in Newport Oregon. A nice little shop. The people there are friendly and happy to answer any question and help you find that special kite for you. Ours was a cute little biplane kite that flew quite well. We dorve a pew miles south and took her out for a test flight. Outstanding. That trip took us the length of Oregon on the coast highway. We bought a total of three kites and flew them every chance we got. At the end of the trip I realized that its not just about the activity you are interested in i.e. Kite flying, biking, hiking, or even bird watching. Its about the journey along the way. The people you meet. The adventure. While kite flying was on the mind, it was everything else that surrounded it that made the trip what it was. Since that first trip we have been back to Oregon 4 more times and I will continue to go many many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment